If someone in your organization is retiring, chances are, they’ve been with your company for a while. You’ll want to give them an unforgettable sendoff; something they—and everyone—will remember with warm memories. Here are some trendy & classic retirement party catering ideas that will have you and your guests yelling, “Quit. Quit. Hooray!”
“This is Your Life Through the Decades” Food Theme
Harken back through the decades with a themed luncheon or dinner that reflects foods and recipes popular in the year they were hired, or create stations offering themed foods from each decade they worked at your business. For example:
- The 1960s: Pigs in a blanket, fondue, Swedish meatballs, Spaghetti-Os, Jello
- The 1970s: Tuna salad, quiche, carrot cake, Hawaiian-inspired foods featuring pineapple, broccoli casserole, zucchini bread, stuffed peppers
- The 1980s: Sloppy joes, potato skins, various dips, chicken pot pie, Rice-a-Roni, chicken fried steak, pizza, canapés
- The 1990s: Fish sticks, chicken nuggets, baked brie, Caesar salads, pop-tarts, fat-free
- The 2000s: Sliders, ahi tuna, buffalo wings, smoothies, cupcakes, feta cheese, fusion cuisine, bacon & meats (Atkins), artisan coffee and breads, dark chocolate
- The 2010s: Lobster rolls, kale, vegan, pumpkin spice, crostini, breadsticks, Middle Eastern cuisine, gluten-free, avocado, gourmet burgers, Korean barbeque
Retirement Living Theme
If your retiree is thinking of moving someplace tropical after their last day at the company, plan the menu accordingly. Here are some ideas of foods to serve for their retirement party:
- Fresh seafood like shrimp or stone crabs
- Mango, pineapple, orange and other tropical fruits
- Tropical drinks (with tiny umbrellas)
- Sesame-ginger chicken
- Key lime pie
Retirement Interests Theme
What is your retiree looking forward to in their retirement? Do they play golf or tennis? Are they heading out to sea on their new sailboat, or traveling the country in an RV? Are they looking forward to puttering in the garden? Tie in the food theme with their retirement interests. For example:
- Garden-fresh foods with packets of seeds and gardening tools for decoration
- Club sandwiches and items served on skewers or toothpicks for the golf enthusiast
A Retirement Roast
Hold a fun, tongue-in-cheek, good old-fashioned roast for your retiree, along with a variety of roasted foods. Here are some retirement party catering ideas:
- Roasted vegetables
- Roast beef or roasted chicken or pork
- Classic side dishes like cole slaw, pasta salad and potato salad
In-House or Off-Site Catering Ideas
If your retirement party is held in the office, one option is to keep it simple with trays of food delivered, like sandwiches and salads. If your space allows, hold an outside BBQ or indoor buffet-style service.
If your retirement party is held off-site, think about catering with various food stations serving smaller, easy-to-manage food. The interactive nature of food stations would be ideal for mingling and chatting with the retiree and his or her family. A private event could feature a cocktail hour and a full sit-down dinner or luncheon, with a formal service.
Get Creative with Maison Culinaire
When it comes to creativity, Maison Culinaire has the ideas! Let us help you plan the ideal retirement meal for your important retiree. From simple office delivery to full-service, sit-down catering, we have a solution to fit any size affair or venue. Trust us with your special event.
Send your retiree off with a truly special retirement party catered by Maison Culinaire. We specialize in International Cuisine, with recipes from many cultures. Talk to our catering staff to reserve your special day. Contact us today.