Now that winter is past and the days are longer and warmer, our thoughts turn to the spring harvest. Even this time of year there are plenty of fresh ingredients we can use to create our delicious catering foods here at Maison Culinaire.
Foods that can be harvested in the spring include: kale, rhubarb, asparagus, spring cabbage, parsnips, leeks, spring onions, spinach, onions and radishes. Let’s look at a few of our favorite recipes (sized for home use) that use these ingredients.
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 4 TBSP butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth, more if needed
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds asparagus
- 1 pound shrimp, cooked and peeled and deveined
- 1 8-oz pkg sliced white mushrooms
- 2 to 3 drops White Truffle Oil
- 1 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare your garnishes: Asparagus, Mushrooms and Shrimp. Snap off tough ends of asparagus and discard them. Cut asparagus stalks into 3-inch–long sections.
- In a Sauté pan put 1 Tbsp olive oil and sauté Asparagus on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Take out from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan turn up the heat slightly and Sauté the mushrooms cook about 2 minutes. Take out the mushrooms and set aside.
- Cook the shrimp on the same sauté pan just until shrimp curls. Do not overcook.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add rice and stir until coated. Add wine and cook, stirring constantly, until wine is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add ½ cup chicken broth; reduce heat to low. Simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring often. Continue to add broth by half-cup until liquid is absorbed, stirring often. You may add additional broth if needed to make rice creamy and tender.
- When rice is cooked and creamy, stir in vegetable mixture and seasoned to taste with Salt and Pepper
- Put the remaining 2 Tbsp butter and stir to make it creamer
- Finish with truffle oil and ½ cup Parmesan and stir
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
Sautéed Spinach and Garlic
- One 10-oz bag of fresh spinach, washed and spun dry
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, pressed or diced
- 1/8 tsp each salt & pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add garlic and sauté until fragrant; about 30 seconds.
- Add spinach and cook 2-3 minutes until all the leaves are wilted. Even though it may look like a lot of spinach, it will cook down. You may remove and set aside the spinach on the bottom that as it wilts, allowing more room for the spinach on top to reach the skillet bottom. This also helps to avoid overcooking the spinach, which could become bitter.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Rhubarb and Strawberry Cobbler
- ½ lb rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 TBSP butter
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel rhubarb and cut into thin slices. Place rhubarb, strawberries, and ½ cup sugar into a heavy medium-sized saucepan. Cover and simmer until fruit is soft, stirring frequently. Keep at a simmer until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, stir together the remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in milk to create the batter.
- Place the butter into a 9” x 12” glass baking dish and place into the microwave to melt the butter. Once melted, swirl the butter to coat the bottom of the dish.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Spoon the hot fruit over the batter, trying not to disturb the batter layer. Do not stir it in.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. When done, the cake portion will be fluffy.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Try Our Favorite Spring Recipes at Your Next Catered Event!
Try these favorite spring recipes at home, or have Maison Culinaire create this, or any spring menu for your wedding, special event or corporate catering need. With International cuisine options, you are assured impeccable food, superb artistry, and of course, flawless service. Check out our Menus for ideas, and contact Maison Culinaire today.